I went to get my nails done today and of course the first thing the nail tech asked me was what color? I replied soft brown or beige. She looked at me as if I was an alien who just sat down. Beige? Beige is boring…so plain…so simple. Everyone else is wearing dark colors for Fall…don’t you want to join in the Fall festivities?
For a moment I felt like a weirdo. Then in the next few seconds I thought, no I am not a weirdo! I want beige!
In fact, I began loving the idea of beige even more as I started to think about what beige represents to me. It’s soft, simple, clean, timeless, like a pottery barn magazine, a spa, a zen place. Personally, I am gearing up for the change of season by creating more zen in my home as well as some zen in my daily life. As a busy mom, I am running around taking care of everyone else, I have made a vow to take care of myself too. I want to spend more time feeling cozy, warm and relaxed rather than crazed. Burnt orange or red will do another time. But not today.
After my manicure, I went home and decided to create a little spa experience for myself. If you are looking to create some zen for yourself, Here are a few of my simple tips to create your own Spa experience in the comfort of your home…to take care of the one person that you may put on the back burner way too often..YOU!
Recipe to create you Zen At Home Spa Experience:
Herbal DeCaf Tea (Celestial Seasons- Camomile/Lavender is my fave)
Homemade Sugar Body Scrub: Mix 1 cup olive oil with 2 cups of raw sugar and add essential oil if desired.
Moisturizing Body Bar or Wash
Homemade Face Mask: 1 cup of oatmeal cooked, 1 tablespoon honey, egg whites from one egg (to hold ingredients together ). Mix and apply to a clean face for 5-10 minutes. Gently rinse Oatmeal and honey soothes and moisturizes the skin.
- Draw lukewarm bath (not too hot as hot water robs our skin of moisture). Add some bubble bath if you prefer. Just remember, the oil from the home made body scrub will moisturize your body while you are in your bath.
- Light candles, start music, grab your book
- Apply face mask to face and neck. Avoiding eye and lip area
- Use Sugar Body Scrub to gently exfoliate body- (avoid face and neck) leaving your skin moisturized by olive oil. Follow with gentle body wash if needed. (I like to mix body wash with a little sugar scrub mixture and gently massage into skin).
- Lie back and sip tea, listen to music or read, and relax.
- Once you have rinsed body and washed face mask off- gently towel dry and apply eye cream and night cream.
- Enjoy the peaceful sleep (don’t forget to blow out the candles)